Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Importance of Ski and Snowboard Fitness




I think participating in some type of ski and snowboard fitness class is the best way to prepare yourself for the season whether you are a recreational, competitive or endurance skier/snowboarder. Three main reasons are it helps improve balance and agility, it helps prevent injury and lastly it creates the strength to be able to ski the top to bottom runs without stopping. I feel that everyone could work on sports specific balance and agility, this is something that can not just be trained through doing the sport itself. If you work on quick feet and balance than it will transition onto your skis and snowboard and you will feel such a difference.
This type of training would include a lot of single leg balance drills and for agility something like the ladder will help a you with coordination and make you quicker on your feet! So many people become injured skiing and snowboarding in the first month, because they are not strong and not ready to ski/snowboard the way they would like to. So if you have the opportunity to try and prevent injury why would you not want to try and do so. Lastly I am sure everyone has been frustrated that on the first powder day or first big day of the year when they are not able to ski top to bottom or they are not able to ski the entire day. Building strength in the core, knees, legs, hamstrings and glutes will really help you to be able to ski all day or without stopping. How nice would it be to be able to ski top to bottom without stopping? I trained a bunch this summer and was able to jump on my skis with only one day of skiing and compete! Mentally I was very nervous, but when I felt strong on my skis I was able to do the 3000 vertical foot venue strong and fast. I could not believe how much my training had paid off. It also is a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment